Every other week curbside recycling collection is provided for residents county-wide. Click "Recycling Pick-Up-Day?" above to learn when your scheduled collection day is.
Single Stream Recycling
Paper & Containers…Mix it up!
For your convenience, you can now mix recyclable paper, glass, metal, and plastic containers in one bin.
Recycling is Easy:
- Collect curbside recyclables in a recycling bin at home.
- Place your recycling bin at the curb for your scheduled collection.
- Bring your empty recycling bin back inside and continue to collect recyclables.
Curbside Recycling Guidelines (Printer friendly version)
- Cardboard & Mixed Paper
- Glass Containers
- Metal Cans & Foil
- #1 Through #7 Plastic Containers
- Paper Milk & Juice Cartons
- Small Rigid Plastics
- Plastic Bags
- Drinking glasses, Pyrex®, or coffee pots
- Paper cups, tissues, napkins
- Containers from hazardous waste
- Compostable plastics
- PVC pipes
Please note that additional materials, such as appliances with Freon®, batteries, electronics, fluorescent bulbs, household hazardous waste, large rigid plastics, plastic bags, scrap metal, textiles, and tires can be recycled at the Recycling & Solid Waste Center, but are not accepted for curbside collection. Permits are required for some materials. Fees may apply. Click here for more information.
Recyclables may be placed at the curb for collection in a:
- County curbside recycling bin. Bins are available for sale at the Tompkins County Solid Waste Management Division (TCSWMD) office.
- Container that is no larger than 45 gallons, weighs no more than 40 pounds when full, and is clearly marked with an "R". This container may have a lid. "R" decals are available at the TCSWMD office, Wegmans, and local municipal offices.
- Place recycling bins at the curb on your scheduled collection day with the "R" facing the road so the recycling collector can see it.
How to Prepare Recycling:
- Empty and rinse all containers. Lids on containers and bottles are acceptable.
- Flatten all cardboard boxes. Cardboard that does not fit in your recycling bin or container can be placed next to your recycling bin in a stack no larger than 4ft. X 4ft. X 1.5ft.
- Do not use plastic bags to collect your recycling.
- If your recyclables are picked up on the same day as your trash, place your bin at least 2 feet from the trash so the recycling collector can easily see your bin.
- Paper clips, staples, rubber bands, and plastic windows on envelopes and paper are OK.
- Labels and neck rings on containers are OK.
Improperly prepared recyclables or unacceptable materials will be left in your bin with a note explaining why it was not collected.